Indiana investigates abortion doctor over complaints from people she’s never met, lawyer says

  • Dr. Caitlin Bernard has never met any of the people who have filed complaints against her, according to her lawyer.
  • Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita used the complaints to launch an investigation into the abortion doctor.
  • A “consumer complaint” lists the doctor’s phone number as “555-555-5555,” Bernard’s attorney said.

The half-dozen “consumer complaints” filed against the Indiana doctor who performed an abortion on a 10-year-old rape victim are all from people she has never met, her attorney said Thursday, with one listing a number of fake phone number for the doctor: 555-555-5555.

In a statement, Kathleen DeLaney, attorney for Dr. Caitlin Bernard, said her client had no interactions with any of the six people who filed a “consumer complaint” against the obstetrician-gynecologist.

“None of the complaints came from a ‘consumer’ who purchased any goods or services from Dr. Bernard or even from a person who had direct communication with Dr. Bernard,” DeLaney said. Only one was filed by an Indiana resident.

“The claims are fraught with inaccuracies and do not rely on firsthand knowledge,” continued DeLaney. “For example, one of the complaints lists a phone number for Dr. Bernard as 555-555-5555.”

On Tuesday, Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita sent letters to Bernard announcing he was opening an investigation into each of the complaints, according to Bernard’s attorney. A Republican, Rokita previously went to Fox News and falsely suggested that Bernard had not properly notified authorities that she had performed the abortion on a child, who was forced to travel from Ohio due to the near-total ban on terminating a pregnancy in her home state. .

That case came to national attention after Bernard spoke out in an interview with the Indianapolis Star. It was later cited by President Joe Biden as a consequence of the US Supreme Court striking down federal abortion rights, prompting several media personalities and right-wing politicians to suggest it was a fabrication.

A 27-year-old man has already been arrested and indicted on two counts of rape. He pleaded not guilty earlier this week.

Bernard threatened to sue Rokita for defamation. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. In an earlier statement, a spokesperson dismissed Bernard’s legal threat as “baseless claims” against one of the “leaders of the pro-life movement”.

Got a news tip? Email this reporter: cdavis@insider.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.